If you’re feeling just like the app TikTok got here out of nowhere, you are now not improper.
Since launching in early 2018, TikTok’s been coated by means of reputedly each main information newsletter and racked up hundreds of thousands of downloads globally.
Regardless of TikTok’s main early good fortune, the app nonetheless appears like a little of a thriller, particularly to entrepreneurs. In reality, till just lately, its dad or mum corporate, ByteDance, hasn’t disclosed many metrics in any respect.
In TikTok’s first yr, all we truly knew was once that an odd-ball video app was once going viral, topping international app retailer charts, and gaining an enormous fanbase from Gen-Z.
Although you continue to don’t seem to be fairly certain what TikTok is, you could have almost definitely noticed a video meme on social media that was once created and revealed within the app first. This is one as an example of a TikTok publish which went viral on Twitter:
Now THIS is a tiktok I may watch all day pic.twitter.com/u1dBkH2OAa
— 🌸 Alexandra Daniels 🌸 (@alexdanielsxo) July 11, 2019
When making choices about your social technique, you are almost definitely extra thinking about numbers than virality as evidence of an app’s endurance.
As any person who is gotten sucked into the app, blogged more than one occasions about it, hearted masses of posts, or even made a couple of embarrassingly mature movies of my very own, I am rather sure that this platform will stick round for fairly a while. However, happily, with mounting information on TikTok, you do not simply must take my phrase for it.
That will help you make knowledgeable choices about your technique and whether or not TikTok is true in your logo, I have compiled an inventory of 28 fascinating stats and details to understand ahead of venturing directly to the app.
29 TikTok Stats to Know in 2021
Userbase, Downloads, and Expansion
Inside TikTok’s first yr, it reportedly reached 500 million monthly active users. Questioning if this was once only a fluke or a viral pattern that may simmer down? Suppose once more. In line with TikTok and its corporate heads, the target audience could be greater and extra promising than we expect.
- In September 2021, TikTok celebrated achieving 1 billion per thirty days energetic customers. (TikTok)
- Musical.ly, a lip-syncing app which ByteDance purchased and merged with TikTok, reportedly had 100 million per thirty days energetic customers when it was once bought by means of TikTok in 2018. (The Verge)
- Douyin, TikTok’s authentic standalone app in China, had 300 million customers on the time Musical.ly merged with TikTok. (The Verge)
- In 2020, TikTok was once probably the most downloaded app globally (850 million downloads), adopted by means of WhatsApp, Fb, and Instagram. (Apptopia)
- TikTok is the Best Loose App within the Leisure phase of the Apple App Retailer. (Apple App Store)
Whilst TikTok’s person base is dominated by Gen-Z in the United States, many millennials have followed it world wide.
And, despite the fact that it would really feel like TikTok is very large within the U.S., the app’s largest target audience in truth comes from China, the place the platform is named Douyin.
Here is a breakdown of TikTok’s main demographic stats.
- 35% of TikTok’s international target audience is between the ages of nineteen and 29, and 28% is below 18. (Business of Apps)
- As of December 2020, TikTok has 69.5 million per thirty days energetic customers in the US. (Statista)
- As of April 2021, 48% of U.S. adults between 18-29 use TikTok, in comparison to 20% of adults between 30-49 and 14% amongst 50-64 yr olds. (Pew Research Center)
- One-quarter of American citizens between 12 and 34 have used TikTok in comparison to 3% of adults elderly 35+. (MarketingCharts)
- 51% of world TikTok customers are male and 49% are feminine. (Hootsuite)
- TikTok is now to be had in additional than 200 international locations. (Oberlo)
- Over 22.2 million of TikTok’s per thirty days energetic customers are in Indonesia. (Statista)
TikTok is a fast moving app. The second one you log in, you see a video at the top of a feed that is algorithmically curated round your pursuits. If you happen to benefit from the video you are staring at, you’ll be able to follow, comment, and like the content directly from the video post. If you are now not loving what you notice, you’ll be able to stay swiping in an upward movement to straight away see extra peculiar movies.
From my very own enjoy, I have discovered that TikTok can simply purpose you to spend extra time than anticipated staring at an never-ending move of frequently comedic movies. Since those movies are in most cases between 15 seconds and one minute, it makes the app supreme for individuals who want fast leisure on their morning trip or when they are bored at house.
As a result of TikTok’s fast tempo and leisure issue, the stats underneath don’t seem to be that sudden:
- The typical person spends 89 mins according to day at the app, in line with a leaked deck from TikTok. (Music Business Worldwide)
- As of September 2021, there are 14.43 million day by day energetic customers the usage of the TikTok Android App and the common person spends 12.3 hours monthly the usage of it. (Statista, HootSuite)
- TikTok is among the maximum downloaded apps within the Google Play Retailer. (Statista)
- More youthful customers elderly 4-15 spend a mean of 80 mins according to day at the app. (Qustodio)
- In line with a leaked TikTok deck, the common person opens the app 19 occasions according to day. (Music Business Worldwide)
- There are 30.8 million international DAU at the TikTok iOS app as of September 2021. (Statista)
- TikTok customers on Android now spend extra time staring at content material at the app than they do on YouTube. (App Annie)
Viral Developments and Influencers on TikTok
Like YouTube, Vine, Instagram, in addition to different previous and provide video apps, TikTok has opened doorways for influencers, comedians, meme creators, or even some manufacturers. Whilst it is nonetheless a little too early to look how a hit its influencers and developments can be ultimately, listed here are a couple of fascinating tidbits:
- Probably the most adopted author on TikTok is dancer Charli D’amelio with 123.5 million fans. Following shut at the back of is Khabane Lame with 115 million. (Wikipedia)
- One of the vital earliest branded hashtag demanding situations was once Guess’ #InMyDenim challenge. In line with TikTok, movies marked with this hashtag have gained a grand general of 38.8 million perspectives. (TikTok)
- Rapper Lil Nas X credit the good fortune of his tune “Previous The town Highway” to TikTok. The tune was once propelled to #1 at the Billboard Best 100 in 2019 after the artist uploaded it to TikTok. (BuzzFeed News)
Here is a compilation of TikTok’s #CowboyChallenge the place folks dressed in standard clothes lower to themselves in cowboy costumes to the tune “Previous The town Highway.”
Industry, Earnings, and Festival
The release of TikTok now not best put its dad or mum corporate, ByteDance, at the map, but it surely additionally ended in pageant from apps like Fb, which introduced an excessively identical app known as Lasso in a while after TikTok went viral. Whilst TikTok and ByteDance are much less clear about earnings and different main main points, here is what we all know:
- TikTok now gives 5 promoting tiers geared toward giant manufacturers. Certainly one of which, a branded hashtag problem, reportedly prices $150,000 according to day. (TikTok Pitch Deck Notes First Reported by means of Digiday)
- TikTok generated an estimated 1.9 billion in earnings in 2020. (Business of Apps)
- In October 2020, TikTok made $115 million on in-app purchases from customers. (Sensor Tower)
- TikTok has a 4.9-star score within the Apple App Retailer and four.4 within the Google Play Retailer. (Apple App Store, Google Play Store)
- Bytedance, TikTok’s dad or mum corporate is valued at $75 million, making it the sector’s Most worthy startup. (CBInsights)
The Mysteries of TikTok
Even though TikTok is a best social platform and is ramping up its choices for advertisers, it is nonetheless fairly new. When an organization or startup is new, it is not unusual for management to cover early numbers, even if a logo is a hit. In reality, we have noticed this with different main firms like Snapchat and Netflix.
Regardless of the release of TikTok For Business in mid 2020, there’s nonetheless much more to be informed as TikTok’s international groups and ByteDance proceed to stay hush-hush about main metrics. Within the coming years, as TikTok continues to attract in additional advertisers, it wouldn’t be sudden if we began to look extra clear details about the app and its person base.
The place to In finding TikTok Stats
Within the intervening time, If you wish to be informed extra about TikTok, you’ll be able to learn up on its short history and early success in this post, or click here to find a how-to guide for the usage of the app. As well as, you’ll be able to uncover necessary TikTok details app on quite a lot of web pages:
Wish to see what different companies are doing on TikTok? Take a look at this roundup of manufacturers on TikTok.