On Friday, after I wrote about how a sealed reproduction of The Legend of Zelda for the NES sold for an eye-popping $870,000 at auction and set a brand new document for the costliest online game ever offered, I puzzled which recreation will be the first to promote for greater than one million. Simply two days later, I’ve my resolution: a sealed reproduction of the Nintendo 64 vintage Tremendous Mario 64 sold for an astonishing $1,560,000 at Heritage Auctions on Sunday, smashing the document that had simply been claimed by means of The Legend of Zelda.
During the last twelve months, the document for the costliest online game ever has risen dramatically. Right here’s the timeline of the document, so far as I’m mindful:
- July tenth, 2020: reproduction of Tremendous Mario Bros. sells for $114,000
- November twenty third, 2020: reproduction of Tremendous Mario Bros. 3 sells for $156,000
- April second, 2021: reproduction of Tremendous Mario Bros. sells for $660,000
- July ninth, 2021: reproduction of The Legend of Zelda sells for $870,000
- July eleventh, 2021: reproduction of Tremendous Mario 64 sells for $1,560,000
It’s no longer simply video video games that experience skyrocketed. The price of Pokémon cards has been on a tear, too, and eBay even introduced a characteristic for its app to make it easier to scan trading cards to promote at the public sale web page. The costs of NFTs, a type of virtual collectibles, seems to be dropping, though.